If you have symptoms of Coronavirus (Covid19) you can get a throat and nose swab test to confirm whether you currently have the virus. This is part of the 5-pillar strategy for coronavirus testing. Testing is most effective within 3 days of symptoms developing, so the sooner you book a test by calling 119, the safer we all become. You can request a test at home and a carer can help you or you can go to a a local testing centre.
There is a new number you can use to book your test. It is NHS 119. Also take a look at the new website https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/
The following groups of people can ask for a test through the NHS website:
- anyone in England and Wales who has symptoms of coronavirus, whatever their age
- anyone in Scotland and Northern Ireland aged over 5 who has symptoms of coronavirus
The following groups of people can access priority testing through GOV.UK:
- essential workers in England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland
- anyone in England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland over 5 years old who has symptoms of coronavirus and lives with an essential worker
- children under 5 years old in England and Wales who have symptoms of coronavirus and live with an essential worker (this test must be performed by a parent or guardian)
For further information click on this link: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-getting-tested#history
What are the symptoms of Covid19?
Do not leave home if you or someone you live with has any of the following:
- a high temperature
- a new, continuous cough
- a loss of, or change to, your sense of smell or taste
To make this poster bigger, click on it.
While there is now a new number to call (119) should you have symptoms of Covid19, remember in an emergency (ie you suddenly have breathing difficulties, you can still call 999. Remember, if you have symptoms you must self isolate for 7 days.