Volunteering for SDN can help you in many ways by building Confidence that has often been lost through having the added difficulties in life of having a disability. Some Volunteers tell us, they find it enjoyable and fulfilling but also have become part of a new family. Or they have made new friends or they did not realise we needed help or had a particular skill.
Volunteers come and go for a number of reasons so gaps need to be filled, so that we can continue our work plus we need to continue to meet the vision of SDN.
We know we have members with many skills and we have no doubt if you could just offer one or two hours a week or half or a day a month we can find you a rewarding opportunity to work with us and help your fellow members.
So what opportunities do we have:
- We have several vacancies on SDN Management Committee including-Chair or Co-Chairs, Secretary, Treasurer, Fundraising Lead. At this present time (April 2021, SDN key roles are being broken down into more manageable roles. SDN will consider job shares. SDN has one Management Committee that overseas the running of the charity. SDN names at least 3 members on the Charity Commission website, the remainder are unnamed Trustees.
- SDN needs a Fundraising Lead and Sub Committee. Why? SDN Management Committee cannot arrange everything ie oversea meeting planning, website maintenance, newsletter, signing up new members, attending events and ensuring Charity legislation is met. SDN is run entirely by volunteers, they receive no money from Government, Local Authority so have to fundraise and apply for grants where possible. This money is used to provide our website, newsletter (printed and posted to members with no IT access), attend events that involve cost, pay for meeting rooms, equipment, members meetings insurance for all events, reimburse necessary out of pocket expenses of volunteers and more.
- We don’t need or want Computer programmers but we DO want a couple of people who we can train to upload information onto our website. SDN provides a signposting service, the website is very important to have up to date, timely and accurate information so help is rquired to ensure this work is completed.
- We would like to have some Volunteers who read articles from our Newsletter “Your Voice” and Website onto SDN TV. this is so important as it is a way of engaging with those who have visual impairment and the non reader. Ideally we need two or three more volunteers, Could you do this and help? Training will be provided.
- We need to keep our website up to date. Details of organisations are always changing, so we need people who are willing to update these details on our website as we receive/discover them.
- We need people who can carry out short interviews of 2-3 minutes using bloggie cameras (supplied by us) that we can then put on our website including SDN TV .
- We would like Reporters, who can either telephone people to carry out an interview or who can go out to events (Shropshire including Telford and Wrekin) that are relevant to people with a disability , so providing local reports that can be used in our Newsletter “Your Voice” and on our website may be as blogs etc
- We need people who can help serve teas and coffees etc at our quarterly meetings, buddies helping those who find it difficult to get refreshments or who need help in any way and at some of our fundraising events. Would you like to know more, then please get in touch.
- We need to have a list of people who we can ask if they are available to help staff our Information Stands at various venues throughout the year. Would you be willing to be included on such a list? If so please let us know.
Essential out of pocket expenses can be agreed.
This is not exhaustive of the opportunities available to you, our members. If there is something you feel you could offer your organisation-Shropshire Disability Network, but it is not mentioned, please tell us.
SDN is totally reliant on volunteers in order to operate so please if you have a skill to offer talk to us.
Call or text SDN mobile 07780 852 229 (there is facility to leave messages should no one answer/we can call you back or email [email protected] or [email protected] & one of the team will contact you.
Please remember, we give training to all our Volunteers.